confessions on a tuesday

-We are done having babies.  In my mind, I understand that.  But sometimes I want to have another just so I can do fun stuff on my blog about it.  Totally not enough reason for sleepless night and poop explosions (we still have those every once in a while with Harper) but it’s the truth.  I see a cute blog post and think I want to do that!  Also, Pinterest.  That thing is the devil.

-Reading young adult books when the characters are in love or it’s a new relationship when everything is so special, so important, and so fun, helps put a little twinkle in my eye when thinking about my husband.  When a character longs to be kissed or just hold hands with someone, I remember that feeling, that want, and I like that remembering.  Chris and I have been together almost eight years (really? that long?) and the most romantic we get is over dinner when Chris says, “sooo, you wanna do it later?” and I say, “I guess.”  But those characters experiencing things for the first time reminds me of what it was like a long time ago and it puts a little pep in my step.  Maybe that’s why I like YA literature so much.

-I didn’t have any energy to head to the gym yesterday so I just ate five mini candy bars to get a sugar boost.  Which might be counterproductive for the whole workout thing, but I rationalize that with the thought that I would have eaten those chocolates anyway.  So now I’m just being awesome and going to the gym.  And then I feel healthy and skinny. (Denial, river in Egypt, whatever.)

-My four-day neighbor passed away a couple weeks ago, probably around the time I was writing this.  It happened quietly and his son seems to be doing okay.  Writing about their story made me stop thinking about it so much, made me feel less haunted.  That’s the power of writing, why I blog, why I hit ‘publish.’  There is something so cathartic about putting words to paper.

-If I could bottle the smell of my children, I would.  The mix of detergent on their clothes, the vanilla lotion after baths, and the sweet drool that is plastered on their faces after a nap create the most wonderful smell in the world.  I don’t want to forget that smell.  Ellie has outgrown her baby smell, I don’t know when it happened, but it’s gone.  I still catch it every once in a while with Harper, but it’s fading fast.  I get a pain deep inside my stomach when I think about those smells being gone.  There’s something so maternal/instinctual about the smell of your children.  It’s weird, but true.

-I seem to find time to blog, but not do my devotion every day…or sometimes even once a week.  I rationalize that most of my blogging is done over the weekends (which is true), but I still find time to read others’ blogs so I definitely have time to do my devotion.  I felt pretty convicted about this yesterday so I made sure to make time.  And it was the first one since February 10th.

8 Comments on confessions on a tuesday

1. momto8
    April 24, 2012 at 1:28 pm (2 years ago)

I thought I was done having babies after 5. I am happy, now, that that wasn’t the case..I would never have known the joy I would be missing. I try and do my devotions while I am doing my work…so that my work becomes a prayer.

• mary
      April 24, 2012 at 5:02 pm (2 years ago)

Eight?! You’re making me sweat big time…I was thinking three tops. You’re braver than I. :)

2. Lacey
    April 24, 2012 at 2:49 pm (2 years ago)

We can’t decide if we’re done with babies. We’re pretty sure we are, but just can’t say it out loud, I guess.

I’m the same way with young adult novels! Also, you guys are about as romantic as David and I are. Except we have to talk in code, cause Irelyn and Chloe are at the age where they would ask questions. Grayson might be too, but he’s lost in his own world more often than not. :op

• mary
      April 24, 2012 at 5:03 pm (2 years ago)

I’m sure we’ll have to come up with a code at some point. I read somewhere that a couple said “we need to do the laundry tonight” and that was their secret code. Then their kids started complaining that mommy and daddy were always “doing the laundry.” Ha!

3. Becky Bee
    April 24, 2012 at 3:51 pm (2 years ago)

Oh man, you make me laugh so much Mary. Every time I see those pregnancy pictures or monthly baby pictures I think the same thing. Then I snap out of it when Lilly does something crazy. As for the romance we are going on 11 years so we’re in the same boat. Although we did have a real date a few weeks back that I got ready for. That had me thinking that if something happens i’m just going to stay single. It was too much work getting ready for a date with my husband. I can’t imagine how stressful it would be with a stranger. I love reading YA romances though because they are so sweet. Those adult romances make me feel a little icky, and ashamed, and icky again.

• mary
      April 24, 2012 at 5:25 pm (2 years ago)

Ha! I don’t have much experience with adult romance novels, but I don’t think I’m missing much. We have date night once a month and I do get dressed up and do my hair/makeup. I think it’s fun. But I don’t think I could manage more than one night a month. :)

4. gabeflowers
    April 24, 2012 at 6:43 pm (2 years ago)

My favorite part “sooo, you wanna do it later?” and I say, “I guess.”. LOL, that was hilarious to me. Sounds like something my hubby would say ;-) Your last point hit home with me. I recently started working and haven’t found time to open my bible app since then…but I’m constantly catching up on my blog reading. Definitely need to fix that! Thanks for sharing ;-)

• mary
      April 24, 2012 at 7:21 pm (2 years ago)

Normally when my husband asks that question, he’s using his Lady’s Man voice from the movie/SNL skits. If that makes no sense, please ignore it. :)