what I would have worn for new year’s had I not been in bed by 10:15

(dress: H&M, leggings: Lauren Conrad for Kohls, boots: Old Navy, necklace: Rue 21)
There was a point in time when I would have never admitted to going to bed at 10:15 on New Year’s Eve.
But that time has passed.
The thought crossed my mind to take people up on their invites or to call up some friends for a game night.  But then I thought about how I’d still have to be up at 7:00 AM with two small kids and I immediately got tired just from thinking about it and I completely avoided making plans.
And so it goes.
/////
As I’ve mentioned before, I don’t do resolutions, but I do like making some goals.  I set goals all the time.  Monthly goals, weekly goals, daily goals, and, sometimes, hourly goals.  I like a goal just about as much as I like a list.  And I LOVE a good list.
So as is customary on this first day of the new year, I’ve made some goals for 2013.
-Spend less time on my phone and more time reading books.  I’ve gotten into the habit recently of playing with my phone each night before bed when I used to read until I’d fall asleep. I miss good books before bed.
-Stop saying yes.  I need to understand that sometimes it’s just nice that people noticed you’re good at something, acknowledge that, and then graciously turn down their offer. Telling people no isn’t my strong suit and I’ve got relationships that are suffering because of it. Time to refocus.
-Continue to get healthier.  Yes, there is a magic number in my head that I think I should be.  And I’ll get there eventually, but truly it’s about being active and healthy and a good role model to my beautiful girls.
-Keep writing more notes.  I tried focusing on this last year and did it in spurts. This year I’d like to be more consistent because everyone loves a good handwritten note.
-Spend less and save more.  This is the hardest thing in the world for me to do. Hands down.
-More quiet time in the Word.  I’m good for about two to three days a week, but making it a daily routine is something I’ve not yet done.  And I’m thirty one for cryin’ out loud.  Get it together, Mary.
-Be in community more. This is a specific blogging goal. I’ve met so many great people through this space and have some big ideas I’d like to try. But normally, I just share them with Carly and then don’t do anything about them. I’d like that to change.
-Figure out what I want to do when I grow up.
/////
Well, that shouldn’t be hard at all.
Bring it, 2013.
If you haven’t taken my reader survey–check it out now!
/////
Have some Christmas money burning a hole in your pocket? Check out The Sapphire Bee for some pretty sweet New Year’s deals!

10 Comments on what I would have worn for new year’s had I not been in bed by 10:15

1. Lena B, Actually
    January 1, 2013 at 1:01 pm (1 year ago)

Gosh, I just love your style…. and your attitude! LOVE.
    Happy New Year!!

2. ME
    January 1, 2013 at 2:30 pm (1 year ago)

Great post, Mary! Your goals are very attainable, it will just take some time to put habits in place. If you check your phone before going to bed, instead use your phone to read a book. There are lots of free downloads available. Writing notes always blesses me and in turn, usually blesses the receiver. I use NOTES on my phone to jot down names when prompted and then when I get home, I pull out a card and send it. Spending quiet time with God ALWAYS makes a huge difference in my day and being more deliberate in carving out that time will benefit you and your family. I’ll be praying for a FABULOUS 2013!!!

3. ME
    January 1, 2013 at 2:30 pm (1 year ago)

4. Janine
    January 1, 2013 at 7:59 pm (1 year ago)

I like the sound of your goals. I do the phone thing on a night before sleeping and I always feel bad about it, like I am rotting my brain or something (I know that sounds dramatic lol) I too plan to try read more instead of phone faffing before sleep!

Happy New Year

Janine xx
    BakeGlueandTrend

5. Chelsea girl
    January 2, 2013 at 3:15 am (1 year ago)

Love your goals. I feel like we could all benefit from working on these things.

6. Niki Caron
    January 2, 2013 at 4:30 pm (1 year ago)

Love your outfit and these are some great goals to live by. Happy New Year!

7. Julie S.
    January 2, 2013 at 7:34 pm (1 year ago)

Spending less is at the TOP of my list. It is hard for me, too. :)

8. Shon
    January 3, 2013 at 2:31 am (1 year ago)

Great outfit, wonderful outlook! I am working on a few of these myself.

Blessings to you and your family this year.

Shon